Coronary interventions

Tangential signal dropout artefact in optical frequency domain imaging

EuroIntervention 2021;17:e326-e331. DOI: 10.4244/EIJ-D-20-00014

Hiroki Shibutani
Hiroki Shibutani1, MD; Kenichi Fujii1, MD; Rika Kawakami2, MD, PhD; Takahiro Imanaka3, MD, PhD; Kenji Kawai3, MD, PhD; Satoshi Tsujimoto1, MD, PhD; Koichiro Matsumura1, MD, PhD; Munemitsu Otagaki1, MD; Shun Morishita1, MD; Kenta Hashimoto1, MD; Seiichi Hirota2, MD, PhD; Ichiro Shiojima1, MD, PhD
1. Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine II, Kansai Medical University, Hirakata, Japan; 2. Division of Surgical Pathology, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Japan; 3. Division of Cardiovascular Medicine and Coronary Heart Disease, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Japan

Background: Tangential signal dropout (TSD), which occurs when the optical frequency domain imaging (OFDI) beam strikes the vessel wall under a glancing angle and travels almost parallel to the vessel wall, is the most important imaging artefact leading to the erroneous diagnosis of lipid-rich plaques.

Aims: This study aimed to evaluate the OFDI artefact of TSD, which mimics the appearance of lipid-rich plaque and macrophage (Mø) infiltration.

Methods: A total of 1,019 histological cross-sections from 23 autopsy hearts were matched with the corresponding OFDI images. Of these, 232 OFDI cross-sections that contained signal-poor regions with diffuse borders were classified as lipid-rich plaques. The angle θ was calculated between the OFDI beam that strikes the edge of the luminal surface of the low-intensity region and that which strikes the surface line of the low-intensity region.

Results: On histological evaluation, 182 (78%) cross-sections were classified as histologically lipidic/Mø infiltration, while the remaining 50 (22%) cross-sections were classified as histologically non-lipidic/Mø infiltration. The angle θ was significantly smaller in the non-lipidic/Mø infiltration group than in the lipidic/Mø infiltration group (12±6° versus 37±14°, p<0.001). Receiver operating curve analysis revealed that the optimal cut-off value of the incident angle for predicting TSD was 23° with an area under the curve of 0.98.

Conclusions: When the OFDI imaging beam strikes the tissue at an angle θ<23°, TSD artefact could occur. To eliminate image misinterpretation, our findings suggest that the OFDI catheter geometry should be considered for the accurate diagnosis of lipid-rich plaques and Mø infiltration.

Sign in to read and download the full article

Forgot your password?

No account yet?
Sign up for free!

Create my pcr account

Join us for free and access thousands of articles from EuroIntervention, as well as presentations, videos, cases from

optical coherence tomographyclinical researchstable angina
Coronary interventionsStable CAD
Read next article
Abluminal groove-filled biodegradable polymer sirolimus-eluting stent versus durable polymer everolimus-eluting stent: three-year results of the TARGET All Comers trial

Latest news